kingofallcosmos

Monday, January 02, 2006

3 Comedies

Hey everyone, happy new year! I have been thinking a lot about my blog lately, and I would like to do more quick hits. It will be hard to do, so be patient. Also, I have been spending a lot of time playing new DS games, so I have not spent much time doing anything else at night. I will do mini reviews shortly on Virtualfanboy.

Today, I just wanted to talk about some of the movies I have watched lately. Backstory: We have digital cable, so I watch quite a few movies, including many on HBO and the Encore channels. I would like to start offering my impressions of movies shortly after I see them. This weekend I saw three comedies.

First, I saw Dodgeball, which was probably the funniest of the films. It reminded me a lot of Zoolander, and it was a great vehicle for both Vince Vaughn and Ben Stiller. A very quotable film, I could see this being a classic. Definitely not overrated like Old School, which seemed too forced.

The next film that I saw was Along Came Polly, which was funny, but not that funny, and a good film, but not that good. I enjoyed watching it, but I wouldn't really recommend it either. I think it is a bad sign when you feel that when the main character has to make a choice between two people at the end of the film, that you feel that he made the wrong choice. Seriously, Debra Messing's character was perfect for him; he had no chemistry at all with Polly. I think that made everything seem a little forced.

The third film I saw was 50 First Dates, which was funny; not Dodgeball funny, but still funny. It was the most heartwarming of the films by far, and you never really suspected the motivation of the protagonist. I think that anyone who sees this will instantly compare it to The Wedding Singer, which is a valid comparison. This was the movie of the weekend, with the assistance of my cold, that made me cry. (I have a bit of a cold, and my eyes have been watery all day. Not fun. Hope I get better for work tomorrow.) I might have cried even without the cold. I absolutely loved The Wedding Singer, but I think that this is easily as good of a film. Some people are only interested in the sillier stuff that Sandler does, which is fine. I loved Billy Madison, Happy Gilmore, Waterboy, and even Little Nicky. But his romantic comedies are some of the best, and I am a bit of a fan of romantic comedies. (I reserve the right to deny that statement at any time.) And while on the subject, anyone who has not seen Punch Drunk Love needs to see it. A definite thinking man's film.

Anyway, hope everyone had a great holiday season.

4 Comments:

  • I did like Dodgeball a lot, and was especially impressed with how funny Justin Long becomes when he gets hit in the face with a wrench.

    Along Came Polly I had to IMDB to remember. I didn't watch either that or 50 First Dates. It's not that I like sillier Sandler. I like hurtful Sandler. So Billy Madison, Happy Gilmore, and parts of some later movies, like the "Love Stinks" scene in Wedding Singer. I don't like his more lovable, less gratuitously violent characters. Punch Drunk Love I did like but I don't think I'd see it again. It was uncomfortable? Which is cool. I can respect that. But I'd rather find something new and uncomfortable than retread that.

    By Blogger Zack, at 1/03/2006 10:20 AM  

  • 50 First Dates is definitely almost all lovable Sandler with very little hurtful Sandler. An enjoyable film, but I could see that you might not like it.

    I want more films like Punch Drunk Love, uncomfortable films. I think that is one of my favorite genres, if it could be considered as such.

    By Blogger Xryz - kingofallcosmos, at 1/03/2006 12:03 PM  

  • I haaaaaaaaated Punch Drunk Love.

    I'm big on Zoolander, though, and have been meaning to watch Dodgeball.

    ANIMAL CROSSING. WHEN?!!!!

    By Blogger lydia, at 1/04/2006 2:59 PM  

  • Another uncomfortable movie that I loved: Freddy Got Fingered.

    I got so frustrated with my network connection. I am right in between choosing between humbling myself and inviting over a friend from work who knows more about networks or just buying the $40 USB adapter. I mean, I don't want to spend $40, but I don't like being unable to fix my network.

    By Blogger Xryz - kingofallcosmos, at 1/05/2006 12:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home